Good Steward




"Whoever is righteous has regard for the life of his beast, but the mercy of the wicked is cruel" Proverbs 12:10

As a Christian today, I almost always feel that I'm "interpreting" the Bible differently than the masses. But there are certain things that I think are less about "interpretation" and more about willful ignorance. 

I admit....it's ignorance that I've deliberately chosen, myself, for a while.

I could list a million verses about our call as Christians to be good stewards of the earth.  But you can go find them....they are there. Google will help you.

At the end of the day, something I've been struggling with lately is this:

Can we, as Christians, look ourselves in the eye and say that God calls us to torture animals in order that we can eat?



No. He doesn't ask that of us. In fact, He asks the opposite. We are to have regard for the lives of the animals He placed in our care. I mean...if you want to get REALLY technical about it, they aren't even our animals. They are ours to take care of for Him. And on judgement day do you really think it's gonna be cool with God that you turned your back on the needless suffering of animals just so you could have some chicken wings on Super Bowl Sunday? 

I don't mean to be hyperbolic. But the reality is that we are all aware of the information out there. We all hear about the latest PETA expose video and we all have at least one vegan friend who posts things on FB or IG that we quickly scroll past and pretend we didn't see. We know. We all know. And most of us, myself included, have pushed that out of our minds when the grocery budget is tight and it's shopping day and you have kids to feed. I get it.

But the Bible never ever gives us a commandment with caveats. We are called to live a certain way, period. A way that is almost always contrary to the way society calls us to live.

Society tells us to ignore the embarrassment that animal farming has become today. 

God calls you to be good stewards of the things He's blessed us with. God calls us to remember that these are His things and we are just taking care of them.

That's been weighing on my heart very heavily lately. So this week, when it was grocery day, I turned to my husband and said "I think we need to start buying our meat at the farmers market".  I need to do a little more research but it's a start. I can buy my meat and eggs from farms I can visit and see that they are humanely raising their animals. Yeah, I'm still gonna eat meat. But I don't have to contribute to the needless suffering of any of the animals I eat anymore.

We finally got a second fridge, and that means bulk purchases, which is super helpful is managing the budget while still eating humanely. In particular, next year I plan on buying  beef from Star Brand Beef. (Which actually probably means we need a deep freezer but you get where I'm going with this...)

I can't ignore the facts out there any more. If I want to try my hardest to walk the walk, it means I need to give up certain things. So, here we go.....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dave Ramsey, I'm done with you

Spinal Fusion Surgery - 3 month out