Spinal Surgery Recovery - L5S1 Fusion Post Op 8+ Weeks

I was meaning to write this last week, when I was officially 8 weeks post op. But now I'm one day shy of 9 weeks post op. But my recovery has tapered off...I'm probably about the same as I was a week ago anyways.

How is it being 8 weeks (and 6 days) post op from fusion surgery? Pretty ok.

I've mentioned before, I think it's really important to hold a positive mind set. The past few weeks have been a test, because my recovery from here has been super slow.

Initially, you just get radically better every day. Every day is some huge improvement and it all seems miraculous. Now....it's slowed down. I've reached a bit of a stasis in my level of activity and pain and improvement.






I returned to work at 6 weeks. For me, I think it was a fine decision however I planned on laying down at work far more than I actually ended up doing. Standing a lot causes some degree of muscle strain/pain on the areas above and below my surgery site. I assume because the muscles at my surgery site are still pretty weak.

Standing up all day ultimately makes a pretty wide space in my midback feel....tight and tense and tingly. I need to lay down more than I do. I actually have that option at my office, but if you don't, I would say take the full eight weeks off. In hind site, I almost wish I would have.

By the end of a long day, my tailbone is pretty sore.

All of this means I'm still taking meds. Generally 1 or MAYBE 2 a day. I'm on 5mg Oxy. I hate that I'm taking it. I'm paranoid about getting addicted. But I've tried Tylenol and it does nothing for me. In the past, Aleve/Naproxen has helped me a ton and I feel like if I were able to take SOME SORT of anti-inflamatory, I think that would help me a ton. But I can't yet....not till 6 months. So.....still some meds. I also use Icy/Hot on the midback area and I use ice packs at the end of the day.

It's a little disappointing to not really see the drastic progress I saw at first. Sometimes I wonder if this is my new normal and that scares me a little. I have to remind myself that it's ONLY two months since I had a MAJOR surgery, since someone put screws and rods into my body. So......*deep breath* and trying to focus on the fact that this recovery is a long haul.

My next check up is actually a few days before my 40th birthday, in June, so it'll be at about 3 1/2 months. I'll be excited to see that xray.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dave Ramsey, I'm done with you

Spinal Fusion Surgery - 3 month out